Three things you didn't know about Jim:
- Spending time with his wife and children is a particular pleasure for Jim
- Exercise, be it in the form of leisurely family walks, days out in the mountains, running and swimming, or cycling holidays in continental Europe is another great interest
- He also enjoy photography, particularly people photography. Finally, having burnt off all those calories, he loves to both cook and eat interesting food from around the world – culinary highlights have included Laos, Thailand, Italy, and cooking with friends in California
Jim is passionate about working with his clients to help them achieve their business aims and create value – be that by helping them to successfully obtain granted patents protecting their technologies, undertaking due diligence on commercial transactions, or acting against third parties on validity and infringement matters.
Jim believes that actually talking to people (particularly examiners and formalities staff at patent offices, and the foreign agents handling clients’ cases) can be immensely valuable and can help deliver great results e.g. by identifying and overcoming issues that might not make it into writing but sit behind examination reports, through to obtaining rapid prosecution and grant of patents.
Jim has an MA in Natural Sciences (molecular and cellular biology), and his primary technical fields are in the life sciences – biotechnology, pharmaceuticals, diagnostics and medical devices. He is also a member of the CIPA life sciences committee. Over the years, he has gained a wealth of non-biotech experience, particularly in mechanical and civil engineering, food packaging, cleantech, fuel cells, aeronautics, and oil & gas.
Jim is also a regular visitor to the European Patent Office (EPO) in Munich and the Hague where he represent clients on contentious cases, and is experienced in the registration of UK and Community Registered Designs.
Jim read Natural Sciences at Cambridge University, graduating in 1993. He then entered the patent profession in 1994, and joined Wynne Jones in 2016.
- European Patent Attorney (EPA)
- Chartered Patent Attorney (CPA)
- Community Design Attorney
- MA Natural Sciences (Cambridge)
What do our clients think?
I have known Jim for a long time and have been closely working with him for the last two years. It has been a pleasure working with Jim and his team. He is highly professional, extremely competent and a pleasure to work with on complex matters. I am one of the most fortunate beneficiaries of Jim’s skill. I also value his judgment and warm personal style. Wish him the very best in his all future endeavours.
Goutam Bhattacharyya, Partner & Head, Hyderabad Office, K&S Partners
I can definitely say that it has been a pleasure working with your firm (especially with you Jim) and I am glad we are able to strengthen the relationships in the recent years…We definitely take pride in associating with you. On a related note, recently I noticed your new website, which has come up as a very interesting one.
Nakul Sharma, Client Relations Manger, K&S Partners